- Published: Thursday, 13 August 2015 19:58
Here are some simple steps you can take if you suffer from swollen limbs caused by fluid retention and/or poor circulation. These will also help you maximise the benefits of manual lymphatic drainage.
Drink enough water
- Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. Drink eight glasses per day.
- Drinking too little water can cause the body to keep a store water for emergencies – this manifests as swollen limbs and hands.
Take less salt
- Having too much salt in your diet can also cause fluid retention. The body can only cope with a certain amount of sodium, after that it will hold water to try to dilute it.
- Drinking more water will flush out of the kidneys the excess sodium.
- Scrubbing yourself with a loofah sponge or a brush every time you shower will improve your circulation.
- Start at the top of your thigh or upper arm, slowly scrubbing or brushing upwards. (This moves fluid up allowing the fluid below to take its place.) Do this over the whole arm or leg, finishing up at the hand or foot.